Date: Sep 15, 2021
Location: Houston, TX, US
Company: Apache Corporation
Apache Corporation, founded in 1954, is one of the world’s premier independent oil and gas exploration and production companies. With operations in the United States, Egypt and the United Kingdom (North Sea), the company has a presence in domestic and international basins. Apache is proud of its portfolio that includes exploration in conventional, unconventional, onshore and offshore operating areas.
At Apache, there is a world of opportunity. With a history of using sound financial practices and an abundant inventory of near-term and future development projects, the company is admired across the industry for its ability to navigate in a rapidly changing world. Apache succeeds in recognizing opportunity and acting quickly. The growth of the company comes from the coordinated efforts of its diverse and accomplished workforce.
- Our VISION is to be the premier exploration and production company, contributing to global progress by helping meet the world’s energy needs.
- Our MISSION is to grow in an innovative, safe, environmentally responsible and profitable manner for the long-term benefit of our stakeholders.
- Our STRATEGY is to take a differentiated approach to the exploration and production of cost-advantaged hydrocarbons through innovation, technology, optimization, continuous improvement and relentless focus on costs to deliver top-tier, long-term returns.
Apache is proud to have been named a Top Workplace in Houston and is one of the world’s most admired companies by Fortune. Our global team is brought together by a shared sense of ownership, team of teams approach and the knowledge that best answers win.
Apache believes in a culture that encourages everyone to bring their unique perspective and background to work every day and to know that their voice is valued and respected.
Apache provides a challenging and rewarding work environment, supported by a premier total compensation package that includes competitive base salaries and benefits along with performance-driven incentives.
For additional information about Apache, please visit:
Position Description & Duties:
The Accountant Senior for Apache Corporation will be a member of Apache’s Accounting Policy & Controls team at the company’s Houston, TX office reporting to the Supervisor, Accounting Policy & Controls.
This role will be primarily responsible for the following:
- Takes ownership of Apache’s system of internal controls and quarterly sub-certification processes, which includes:
- Communicating with all Vice Presidents and control owners in the Company on a quarterly basis to verify sign-off on various accounting issues and control assessments;
- Enhancing Apache’s compliance process and facilitating greater visibility of internal controls across the Company
- Working with control owners to ensure internal controls stay relevant as systems and processes change
- Routinely collaborating with Internal Audit and external auditors to improve the control environment;
- Monitors and manages the lease accounting process in accordance with ASC 842 including:
- Maintain good relationships with business contacts throughout the Company to ensure completeness and accuracy of our leases
- Assist in the set up and training of new users of our lease accounting software (Nakisa)
- Evaluate new contracts to identify leases and ensure appropriate accounting treatment
- Review entries interfaced from Nakisa to SAP to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Work closely with IT to enhance Nakisa and resolve issues as they come up;
- Monitors standard-setters for latest accounting regulations, analyzes impact of new/emerging regulations on the Company, and ensures appropriate application and disclosure;
- Assists in implementation of new regulations and pronouncements;
- Works closely with the Corporate Accounting department in review of SEC filings to ensure compliance with US GAAP. Completes various GAAP checklists and attends disclosure review meetings to ensure completeness and accuracy of Apache’s disclosures in SEC filings;
- Helps prepare certain disclosures for SEC filings, including new accounting pronouncements, the annual commitments disclosure, and related parties;
- Reviews investor relations presentations, press releases, Proxy and other publications before they are released to ensure compliance with SEC regulations and consistency with SEC filings;
- Assists in preparation of presentations for the Audit Committee on quarterly results, internal controls, and other accounting matters;
- Develops accounting policies and procedures for various accounting functions and promote their consistent application throughout Apache. Works with others in the Finance organization to interpret existing accounting policies and applies to new transactions;
- Assists with Special Projects, as needed; and
- Maintains strong relationship with external and internal auditors.
Preferred & Minimum Requirements:
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- 2-5 years of public accounting experience;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting;
- CPA (preferred);
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal, management, administrative, organizational, and leadership skills; and,
- Experience implementing sound decisions when faced with multi-faceted problems.
Core Values & Leadership Attributes
The successful candidate will lead by example through the embodiment of, and by embracing, Apache’s Core Values and Leadership Attributes:
- Core Values:
- Expect top performance & innovation;
- Seek relentless improvements in all facets;
- Invest in our greatest asset, our people;
- Foster a contrarian spirit;
- Drive to succeed with a sense of urgency;
- Safety is not negotiable & will not be compromised;
- Conduct our business with honesty & integrity;
- Treat our stakeholders with respect & dignity; and
- We derive benefit from the earth & take our environmental responsibility seriously.
- Leadership Attributes:
- Responsible irreverence;
- Focus on team accomplishments over personal gain;
- Decisive, invested, committed;
- Safety is not negotiable & will not be comprised;
- Fire in the belly;
- Lead by example, be an ambassador for Apache’s values;
- Sees the big picture, translates into action;
- Sound judgement and emotional maturity;
- Best answers win;
- Working managers; and
- Effective communicators.
Apache Statement on Hiring
To provide genuine equal opportunity to all people, it is the policy of Apache Corporation and its subsidiaries to base all employment-related decisions and actions exclusively on employment-related criteria. To provide genuine equal opportunity to all people, it is the policy of Apache Corporation and its subsidiaries to provide broad dissemination of job opportunities, as consistent with the nature of the positions. To provide genuine equal opportunity to all people, it is the policy of Apache Corporation and its subsidiaries to review its employment-related policies and actions on a regular basis to ensure that their application is consistent with their intent.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Job Segment: ERP, Accounting, Sustainability, SAP, Offshore Oil, Technology, Finance, Energy
|Job Category||Accounting & Bookkeeping, Development Services - Planning, Applied Mathematics, Business Administration, Communication, Data Management, Finance, Management, Mathematical/Statistical Skills, Public Relations, Quality Control|