Systems Engineer – Docking Systems
Location: Houston, TX
Job ID: ADV000407
Challenging Today. Reinventing Tomorrow.
We’re invested in you and your success. Everything we do is more than just a project. It’s our challenge as human beings, too. That’s why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
At Jacobs, we challenge the status quo and redefine how to solve the world’s greatest challenges, transforming big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow
Are you passionate about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA’s largest engineering solutions provider working together with NASA at centers across the United States.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Systems Engineer – Docking Systems to join our team with JETS teammate company, HX5.
The process of docking spacecraft in space is a critical capability for many current and new missions being envisioned both by NASA and the commercial space industry. The Systems Engineer – Low Earth Orbit (LEO) Docking Systems will have a key impact on the certification and operation of docking systems for both the International Space Station (ISS) and the Commercial Crew Program (CCP) and will:
- Provide insight to and oversight of the design, analysis, test, manufacturing, and operation of docking systems supporting Orion, Gateway, and ISS
- Become familiar with the details of the NASA Docking System Block 1 and/or Block 2, and/or other provider docking system designs as needed
- Review proprietary Commercial partner and international partner documentation on their vehicle design as pertains to installation and operation of the docking system
- Analyze partner requirements to assess conflicts, gaps, and adequate flow down and decomposition of the NASA program requirements
- Participate in for NASA in design/test/certification reviews and provide specific comments to docking-system related documentation (particularly NASA Docking System or ISS interface design, test & verification requirements, linkage to interface requirements, analysis or test results, and acceptable verification closure data)
- Review and provide comments to Docking-related Safety Hazard reports, participate in the NASA safety panel reviews
- Preparation and/or review of variances, exceptions and/or waivers to NASA requirements
- Participate in a real-time flight support role requiring knowledge of docking system and vehicle operations, flight rules, and contingency procedures. This would also require training with a mission support team under various flight scenarios in the JSC Mission Control Center
- Work in a team environment and report to the team lead to provide status on progress and issues and for support
- Maintain a professional relationship with the NASA customer and other NASA support contractors.
- Travel as needed to other NASA centers and commercial partner facilities, international and domestic, in support of duties
- Perform other duties as required
Here’s What You’ll Need:
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and five (5) years of related engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and four (4) years of related engineering experience, or Ph.D. from an accredited engineering school and zero (0) years of related experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, be able to work in a team, and develop cooperative relationships with NASA, international, and commercial partners
- Structural or mechanical system design experience including familiarity with design and analysis tools and testing methods
- Ability to track multiple tasks and prioritize work independently
- Self-motivation and quick learner to adapt to the broad array of subjects and issues encountered
- BS degree in Systems, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Electrical Engineering from an accredited engineering school and a minimum of ten (10) years of direct engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and eight (8) years of direct engineering experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with hardware and/or operations in direct engineering experience on space vehicles
- Experience with, or exposure to, docking systems and docking operations
- A working knowledge and experience with ISS, and/or Commercial Crew design and verification documentation and requirements
- Working knowledge of NASA, JSC, and ISS standards, practices and requirements including safety, fault tolerance, FMEAs and unique disciplines (i.e. mechanisms, Structures, Materials, etc.)
- Experience with using CAD tools to open and manipulate CAD models or STP files in Creo
- Systems Engineering experience/background or a desire to learn systems engineering
Why Join Our Team?
Click on the below links to view just a small sample of all that we do! Come join our team and be part of our future. We look forward to seeing you!
Jacobs Aerospace Solutions Overview
(Please view in Chrome or Microsoft Edge)
In addition to exciting career opportunities, we also have:
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Much, much more!
For more information on our partnership with NASA at Johnson Space Center (JSC), please visit www.wehavespaceforyou.com
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of time).
Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical. Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements.
Other Essential Functions
Professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
Visit jacobs.com and connect with Jacobs on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
|Job Category||Development Services - Planning, Aerospace, Analytical, Business Administration, Communication, Data Management, Document Control, Environmental, Estimation, Industrial, Inventory Control, Literary/Writing skills, Mathematical/Statistical Skills, Occupational Safety, Quality Control, Sales & Marketing|