- POSITION OVERVIEW
- Applications Accepted From: ALL PERSONS
Job Classification: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR – IT INFRASTRUCTURE (RADIO)
Division: RADIO COMMUNICATIONS
Reporting Location: 2318 GREENS ROAD
Workdays & Hours: MON – FRI 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM*
*Subject to Change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Manages and directs personnel, reviews operations, and establishes objectives within the assigned department. Leads various technical and administrative teams in the planning, operations, and maintenance of one of the largest public safety radio systems in the world.
This executive must have the education, training, and experience that clearly demonstrate necessary skills in the following areas:
- Providing strategic and tactical direction, vision and leadership for the Radio Communication Services Division; incorporating business process reengineering and continuous improvement strategies utilizing resources to the maximum benefit of the entire department and determining acceptable standard levels of service to the department.
- Maintaining, upgrading and replacing as needed the department’s critical radio technology systems and infrastructure.
- Managing public safety radio programming and technical teams.
- Creating a positive work environment by providing consistently superior people management; attracting and maintaining quality staff members; and providing the necessary vision and tools to develop continuously-improving, high-performing teams.
- Identifying new opportunities to leverage technology and enhance the department’s functions and services.
- Coordinating with the Deputy Director on a proactive basis; participating as a key member of the department’s management team; leading the division in a collaborative approach to achieving the Department’s goals and mission.
- Have a thorough understanding of the functions of Police, Fire and EMS and how the radio system integrates with those functions.
- Familiarity with Incident Command System (ICS) and integration of radio support with ICS.
- Lead and participate in cross-sectional City teams as well as regional, State, and national advocacy associations to foster improvements in public safety communications.
The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e. essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management and Information Systems (MIS), or a closely related field.
At least ten (10) years of experience in an IT infrastructure of a department or enterprise IT environment that includes three (3) years managing a technology team. Strong understanding of the department’s core
A valid Texas Driver’s License and compliance with the City of Houston’s policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Must be able to pass a criminal background check, obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required.
- Preferences will be given to candidates with:
- Strong background in public safety communications;
- Strong experience with managing diverse technical teams in a public safety communications;
- Land Mobile Radio; and
- Experience in an IT environment or Police/Fire/EMS preferred.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6. **
- GENERAL INFORMATION
- SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED:
Department may request additional information.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate’s qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in similar positions.
Pay Grade: 34
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832) 393-0204.
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832) 393-0204. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
|Job Category||Communication, Computer Science, Environmental, Information Technology, Management|