Purpose: The Bookkeeper’s primary function is to manage and record Houston Chinese Church’s (HCC) financial transactions in QuickBooks accounting software.
- Payroll and Ministry Expenses
- Issue church ministry expense reimbursements (review vouchers for completeness)
- Run payroll semi-monthly with attendant reporting and tax payments
- Administer employee benefits (403(b), allowances such as Continuing Education, etc.)
- Administer employee set-up process for new church employees
- Issue W-2s for church employees and 1099-NECs for independent contractors at year end
- Financial reports
- Produce weekly and monthly financial updates for the church bulletins and main bulletin board
- Produce monthly financial update reports for the church deacons and elders for their ministry department areas
- Bank Deposits and Statements
- Deposit weekly offering donations
- Reconcile monthly bank and credit card statements
- Provide accounting for income & expenses for church activities (retreats, camps, mission trips, etc.)
- Manage the QuickBook Chart of Accounts
- Accountability: The Bookkeeper is directly accountable to the Deacon / Deaconess of Treasury for Finances. This accountability is maintained through personal contact and other means. The Bookkeeper will have a formal review on an annual basis after his / her first year of employment.
- Staff Relationships: The Bookkeeper will work closely with the Deacon / Deaconess of Treasury for Finances; and will also work with other members of the pastoral staff and the Church Council deacons and elders. He/She shall work to maintain healthy, professional relationships with church staff through mutual support.
- Office Work Hours:
- Some hours worked must be on Sundays – from lunch time thru early afternoon (to interact with church staff and Council members)
- Plus two other weekdays during the week
- Must be a baptized believer of Jesus Christ, and demonstrate integrity, grace.
- Member of Houston Chinese Church (preferred).
- Agrees completely with the articles of faith, church constitution, mission and core values of Houston Chinese Church.
- Must be detail-oriented, with an ability to communicate in the English and the Chinese language, and being fluent with one of the two is essential (in reading and writing).
- Self-starting and coachable attitude with a willingness to learn.
- Ability to work well with others, as well as independently.
- Possess working knowledge of Accounting and bookkeeping principles.
- Demonstrated experience in QuickBooks accounting software (preferred).
- Proficiency in Excel, Word and computer literacy.
For those interested in this position, please submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Job Category||Accounting & Bookkeeping, Development Services - Planning, Admin & Clerical, Applied Mathematics, Business Administration, Communication, Community, Data Management, Finance, Inventory Control, Literary/Writing skills, Mathematical/Statistical Skills, Ministry, Office Assistance, Project Management, Public Relations|