Budget Stategy & Analyst
City of Sugar Land
- Position Description
- At the City of Sugar Land, we are looking for people driven by a desire to contribute, possess a willingness to be challenged, and are committed to public service. Our champion employees are a driving factor for making Sugar Land “One of America’s Best”.
The Budget & Strategy Department is seeking exceptional individuals to fill the role of Budget & Strategy Analyst. The Budget & Strategy Analyst, under general direction of the Budget and Strategy Manager, performs a variety of duties relating to preparing and administering the annual operating budget, supporting the strategic planning process, managing a variety of strategic projects and performance measurement. This position will also focus on the five-year capital improvement plan and a multi-year revenue/expenditure projections.
The position provides a valuable opportunity to gain insight and experience with both the operational and administrative aspects of the city. Attention to detail and accuracy are essential to be successful in this position.
- Summary of Duties
- Prepare policy and procedure guidelines, instructions, memos, and reports.
- Provide, communicate, and implement strategy.
- Provide operational insights to achieve key performance indicators.
- Summarize insights from analysis and clearly communicate analytical findings and provide recommendations.
- Required to work as an essential employee before, during and after an emergency or disaster, whether natural or acts of war.
- Stay abreast of, and comply with, all City and departmental policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Director or his/her designee. Responsible for the analysis of one or many City departments and funds. Assist departments in preparing budget allocation and line item detail consistent with annual service delivery plan.
- Prepare budget information in a presentation format that meets standards set by the GFOA Distinguished Budget Awards program.
- Analyze and critique departmental budget requests and make recommendations to Budget and Strategy Manager based on historical trends, performance and justification provided. Maintain historic databases, analyze data, and prepare revenue and expenditure forecasts based on economic indicators.
- Monitor, analyze and forecast revenues including taxes, fees and charges for services. Utilize statistical methods to determine future financial impacts of revenue trends.
- Work with assigned departments to monitor their budgets, provide periodic updates and provide support as needed for budget management needs throughout the City.
- Review expenditures of departments to ensure compliance with budget and consistency with chart of accounts.
- Assist with preparation of the five-year Capital Improvement Program.
- Utilize analytical skills to extract data from sources and prepare analytical summary of results.
- Provide support and data analysis for various projects such as user fee study, cost allocation plan and utility rate model.
- Review and critique budget transfer requests by departments prior to entry into the accounting system.
- Conduct surveys and research, analyze and interpret results and prepare reports of financial and operational performance for ultimate submission to City management and City Council
- Minimum Qualifications
- Formal Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Master’s Degree is preferred.
Relatable Work Experience:
- One year of budget, accounting, or finance experience.
- One year of municipal experience, preferably in an analytical capacity, preferred.
- Additional relevant work experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above knowledge; skills and experience may be substituted in lieu of specific education and exempt-level experience requirements. Likewise, a Master’s Degree in a related field may be substituted for two years of work experience.
Training (License and/or Certification):
- Valid Texas Driver License
- Additional Information
- The ideal candidate will possess inner drive and enthusiasm for municipal public service. They seek to exceed expectations, can learn new skills quickly and accurately, and are active problem solvers. They can identify process improvements and are able to think creatively outside of the box. They are positive, proactive, and emotionally intelligent. They can see the big picture, but are also flexible, analytical, highly organized, and detail-oriented.
They also are able to coordinate and lead a variety of strategic projects, expenses, revenues, strategic planning, performance measurement, and other related work with minimal supervision and potentially with different departments and other organizational entities.
The City of Sugar Land is an equal opportunity employer.
- City of Sugar Land
- 2700 Town Center Blvd., NSugar Land, Texas, 77479
- (281) 275-2735
|Job Category||Accounting & Bookkeeping, Development Services - Planning, Admin & Clerical, Applied Mathematics, Business Administration, Computer Science, Data Management, Engineering, Finance, Information Technology, Management, Mathematical/Statistical Skills, Network Administration, Statistics|