16655 Southwest Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77479
Category: HIM/Medical Records
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: March 25, 2020
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M – F
At Houston Methodist, the Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) is responsible for complete and accurate data collection/abstracting in accordance with state law as detailed in the Texas Cancer Incidence Act, the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Program Standards (ACOS CoC PS), and HM guidelines. The CTR is to ensure that all healthcare cancer information is thoroughly reviewed and assigned appropriate codes and staging such that the statistical data base is accurate, complete, and timely for required reporting. The CTR also participates in continuous improvement, reporting, and follow-up programs in order to meet departmental goals. Assists management and colleagues in all aspects of cancer program activities.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
– INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
– COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
– ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
– RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
– EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE – 25%
1. Participates in planning and conducting of a continuous improvement program to ensure accurate, complete, and timely data collection. (EF)
2. Assists with development and maintenance of policies & procedures and other reference aids.
SERVICE – 25%
1. Analyzes and reviews the healthcare documented in various sources that includes system records as well as correspondence with physician offices and other facilities to obtain all necessary cancer information ensuring each case is thoroughly and completely abstracted. (EF)
2. Assists with reporting of data to the Texas Department of Health (state central cancer registry), National Cancer Data Base, physicians, and other authorized users in accordance with departmental procedures for release of information.
QUALITY/SAFETY – 25%
1. Coordinates case finding and data collection activities in accordance with the Texas Cancer Incidence Reporting Act, American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Program Standards (ACOS CoC PS) and HM Cancer Committee; ensuring timely abstracting of data. (EF)
FINANCE – 15%
1. Ensures department productivity and data accuracy is maintained at appropriate levels to meet agency requirements. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION – 10%
1. Identifies continuing education needs of the department and participates in staff development.
2. Maintains and actively expands knowledge of the cancer disease process, diagnostic methods and procedures, and all possible treatment variations. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Associate’s degree or the equivalent (60 college credits)
o Successful completion of 160-hour clinical practicum or one year of experience in the cancer registry field
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) by National Board for Certified Registrars
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Thorough knowledge of and ability to code cancer data utilizing International Classification of Diseases for Oncology (ICDO), FORDS, American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC), SEER Summary Stage and Texas Cancer Reporting Handbook
o Knowledge of statistics, medical terminology, and anatomy
o Basic computer skills as related to database and other software applications related to registry data management
o Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
o Detail oriented
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. With 243 licensed beds, 20 operating rooms and over 1,900 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital was designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
|Job Category||Development Services - Planning, Admin & Clerical, Business Administration, Communication, Customer Service, Finance, Health Care, Professional Care, Quality Control|