Responsible for planning, organizing, and executing design development projects resulting in the definition of new products and improvements to existing drilling products. This includes providing design support to the field through analyzing and diagnosing product related issues, understanding applications and practices, and developing drill bit designs from concept to production.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work on different drill bit technologies such as roller cone, polycrystalline diamond compact (PDC), and diamond impregnated drill bits and/or designs with new novel cutting structures. Assist in new product commercialization in agreement with project technical and timing objectives. Use proprietary dynamic drilling analysis software to understand the drilling system behavior and virtually simulate it in to define problems and failure modes and optimize performance of bit designs.
- Be familiar with workings of different down hole drilling tools, bottom hole assemblies and how they operate and interact with drill bit and the entire drilling system and also its effect in drilling system performance. Work with experts in other drilling products within Schlumberger to provide customers with an optimal drill bit design that is tailored for the drilling system and the application to meet customer expectations
- Conduct and/or participate in technical design reviews, brain storming sessions with peers, domain experts, manufacturing and product reliability and the product engineers to ensure the objective set for the design are met. Interact with product engineers, drilling engineers to conduct effective field testing of the new products as well as evaluate bit performance. Collaborate with the product engineers from the field, sales to present the design concepts to end customers and stakeholders to show how the new design will help in improving their drilling performance.
- Train and mentor junior Mechanical Engineers, provide leadership and consultation to professional colleagues. Create and maintain product documentation (requirements, specification, design, development, integration, test procedures and results) following the Project Lifecycle Management Process.
- Author/co-author technical reports, papers, articles, patents and presentations. Make presentations effectively to technical, management audiences and customers.
- Share expertise via Schlumberger’s internal knowledge sharing communities and Special Interest Groups and expand the informal network throughout the organization: field, research, engineering, manufacturing, other domains and clients.
- Masters in Mechanical Engineering with at least 3 years of experience in designing, executing mechanical design projects preferably designing drill bits and down hole drilling tools.
- Alternatively, will accept a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with at least 5 years of related progressive engineering experience in design and development of mechanical design projects preferably designing drill bits and down hole drilling tools.
- Must be able to legally work and reside in the US without sponsorship
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
Schlumberger is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor—priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
|Job Category||Development Services - Planning, Analytical, Design/Drafting, Document Control, Engineering, Hydrology/Hydraulics, Industrial, Information Technology, Management, Mechanical, Project Management|