Houston, TX, US, 77002
NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Purpose: The Director, Corporate Safety is responsible for implementing safety and health programs within day-to-day facility, department, and field operations with a focus on injury prevention, regulatory compliance, and hazard reduction. Motivates and influences all level of employees to plan and execute every task in a fashion where safety is the first consideration. Coordinates with the management of the facility, department, or location on regulatory requirements, timely internal and external reporting, and overall safety and health compliance.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities: – include but are not limited to:
- Monitor and evaluate changes in applicable Occupational Safety & Health regulations, national consensus standards, and industry best practices to ensure company policies, procedures, and work practices remain current.
- Serve as a subject matter expert interpreting OSHA rules and regulations for management
- Monitor the development of new regulations and manage company input into the development of regulations
- Provide guidance and support to plant operations safety as needed
- Manage special projects and lead a team of subject matter experts
- Perform safety reviews, identify gaps, and recommend actions
- Develop, review, and revise Corporate Safety Manual procedures
- Support and emphasize the importance of safety and health programs and promote regulatory compliance
- Assist the corporate organizations in fostering employee involvement and understanding of safety program objectives
- Influence a positive safety culture that proactively identifies and reduces risk and reinforces safety accountability
- Assist the corporate organizations in managing various aspects of the Safety program.
- Manage the development and communication of safety notifications and bulletins
- Identify and develop company-wide corrective actions to ensure that safety incidents are not repeated, ensure corrective actions institutionalize improvements.
- Maintain company safety statistics and related reports
- Initiate, assist in, and/or review incident investigations and safety inspections
- Prepare and/or review written reports.
- Open Office and Plant environments
- Overtime as required to perform job duties
- Frequent travel should be expected – 70% of the time
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of 7 – 10 years’ experience in safety management
- Practical experience in safety or industrial hygiene
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Must have valid state driver’s license
- Bachelor’s Degree Science, Engineering or Occupational Safety.
- Professional Safety Certification
- Knowledge of Power Industry
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of safety and health regulations and best practices
- Ability to perform comprehensive safety assessments and incident investigations
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to influence positive change across the enterprise
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to operate effectively in a team environment
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) at all levels of the organization
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional working relationship with all individuals at all levels of the organization
- Ability to read, create and follow written policies and procedures
- Ability to read, write and understand English
- Ability to complete tasks on time without direct supervision
- Effectively and efficiently manage challenging workload independently with support from others
- Ability to walk balance of plant / office building to conduct investigations as needed
- Ability to wear safety PPE and equipment as environment requires
- Occasional lifting as required to complete job tasks
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant’s experience or skills. Official description on file with Human Resources.
|Job Category||Admin & Clerical, Communication, Engineering, Health Care, Hospitality, Management, Occupational Safety, Science & Biotech, Social Work|