Date: Jan 21, 2021
DEWEYVILLE, TX, US, 77614
As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success–take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
This is a position responsible for all electrical operations at the station. Electricians will coordinate and/or perform all low, medium and high voltage Electrical Maintenance for the facility. All maintenance technicians will be involved in the planning of work, obtaining resources and controlling costs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Senior-level; recognized technical expert.
- Performs a variety of complex technical service/support duties requiring specialized knowledge.
- Troubleshoot, repair and maintain all plant electrical equipment as required to support plant operation.
- Provide leadership and job coordination on critical repairs or projects, as well as routine activities as required.
- Assist in requisitioning parts and supplies.
- Assist in vendor resource planning.
- Assist in maintaining and controlling spare parts inventory.
- Assist in maintaining drawing files, vendor files and the equipment maintenance record.
- Assist in NERC compliance maintenance activities.
- Maintain a clean and safe shop and plant environment.
- Train and develop other employees in maintenance skills.
- Utilize computerized maintenance management system for all phases of work (SAP)
- Other duties as assigned.
Normal office environmental and/or power plant environment out-of-doors work environment. Out-of-doors environment at generating plant work locations includes:
- Work in and around rotating equipment, high voltage electrical equipment, high noise areas and elevations up to 80 feet.
- Work in all temperatures and climatic conditions. Some temperatures can be extreme.
- Work in confined spaces, some requiring the use of respirator protective equipment.
- Performance of duties requires response to calls 24 hours/day, seven days/week and working irregular shifts.
- Emergency situations will require the use of a respirator and climbing stairs to reach safety shelters.
- Establish facial hair in the sealing area of a respirator is not permitted.
- Contact lenses are not permitted except for specific medical reasons.
- Substantial footwear must be worn in accordance with the current Safety Shoe Policy.
- High school graduate or GED.
- At least 5 years’ experience working with DC voltages from 48 to 125, and AC voltages from 120 to 500KV. Including electric maintenance experience in the repair, inspection, testing, installation and/or maintenance of related equipment including inspection and preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and diagnostics
- All individuals must demonstrate a strong aptitude in math, mechanical/electrical ability and production control.
- Excellent communication and team skills are a must.
- Knowledge of the kinds and types of equipment installed derived through a combination of hands-on experience and formal training performed in the manufacturer’s factory or at the jobsite.
- Demonstrate skills in the use of tools, test equipment and calibration appliances.
- Strong mechanical aptitude, basic understanding of chemistry, physics, electricity and mathematics.
- Must be able to respond calmly and think clearly in emergency situations.
- Must be able to visually read and respond to computer-generated data, instrumentation, gauges, readouts and variations in color.
- Must have manual dexterity required to operate keyboards, pushbuttons, dials, valves and mechanical-actuating devices.
- Must be able to read, interpret, and troubleshoot electrical schematics.
- Must be able to test, troubleshoot, and repair various DC circuits
- Ability to work with DC voltages from 48 to 125, and AC voltages from 120 to 500KV
- Must have a valid state driver’s license.
- Must receive a score of Recommended on the NRG Pre-employment assessment.
- Trade school, military service or technical training schools preferred.
- Experience working with generators
- Experience working at Power plant.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- This position requires the ability to safely use, handle and inspect equipment containing (and perform maintenance in close proximity to sources of), hazardous energy, hazardous chemicals and hazardous wastes as those terms are defined under various safety and environmental regulations.
- The position requires the use of appropriate personal protective equipment for the hazards identified above.
- In the employee’s normal immediate work area, this position requires the employee to be routinely familiar with, and to appropriately respond to, the hazards identified above, including, but not limited to repairs on equipment containing chemicals, containment of chemical leaks, response to electrical interruptions, etc. This response would encompass appropriate personal protection techniques, the following of safety procedures such as (but not limited to) lock out/tag out procedures, and the following of environmental procedures. This position requires the ability to perform these functions with little supervision.
- Must be able to frequently climb ladders; enter confined spaces; climb to and work from elevated platforms, ladders and walkways at elevations of 80 feet and more; crawl through confined areas; correctly wear and work using air purifying respirator; lift a minimum of 20 pounds in awkward positions and 50 pounds from the floor to the waist
- This job requires the ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions, climb vertical access ladders and stairwells, carry up to 50 pounds and to see, hear, walk and talk effectively.
Other Physical Requirements
Sight Acuity Near FREQUENT
Sight Acuity Far MODERATE
Sight Depth Acuity FREQUENT
Sight Color Acuity FREQUENT
Talking (Loud &/Or Clear) MODERATE
Heavy Lifting (>50 LBS) FREQUENT
Medium Lifting (<50 LBS) FREQUENT
High Eye-Hand Coordination FREQUENT
Full Motor Capability FREQUENT
Standing & Walking FREQUENT
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Official description on file with Human Resources.
|Job Category||Applied Mathematics, Electrical, Engineering, Industrial, Mechanical, Repair/Maintenance|