Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Engineer
Applied Optoelectronics, Inc. (AOI)
The purpose of this position is to maintain and continuously improve the company’s commitment to the safety and wellbeing of our employees, the protection of our property, and our stewardship of the environment. In executing this commitment, the company is dedicated to ensuring compliance with all regulatory Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) requirements. This position is responsible for carrying out these ideals and assisting in ensuring compliance with applicable EHS permits, laws, and regulations, and carrying out the day-to-day operations of the EHS department and the application of an effective Environmental, Health, and Safety Management System.
- Establish, implement, and enhance EHS Programs, Policies, and Procedures.
- Assist in compliance reviews, general risk assessments, and other safety assessments to support the Environmental, Health, and Safety Management System.
- Participate in the EHS Facility Audit, prepare for the audit, complete and achieve closure of audit findings before the due date, update the Corrective Action / Preventative Action (CAPA) sheet as required, continuously monitor and correct previous audit findings, as well as immediately address new findings daily.
- Assist in emergency response and provide first aid treatment as needed.
- Schedule and provide evacuation and training & evacuation drills.
- Participate in detailed incident investigations to identify the root cause and recommend corrective/preventive actions to avoid recurrence of injuries/incidents.
- Oversee Hazardous Waste Storage area and ensure regulatory agency compliance of labeling, containment, proper disposal, documentation, etc.
- Implement and optimize process emissions and ambient air monitoring equipment.
- Timely completion of daily/weekly/monthly inspections in various areas of the plants.
- Maintain relevant EHS logs and documentation, and prepare applicable EHS reports as necessary.
- Coordinate the purchase, proper use, maintenance, and inspection of the necessary safety and personal protective equipment.
- Provide technical support in developing and implementing ergo programs in industries to improve processes or design to prevent injuries.
- Assist in the development and presentation of relevant EHS training and certification programs.
- Participate in EHS Committee meetings and associated activities.
Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Safety, Ergonomics, Environmental Health, Industrial Hygiene, or related discipline required .
Experience in a manufacturing environment is a plus.
- Experience of ISO 9001- 14001,18001,45001, First aid/CPR, emergency response experience, respirator and SCBA, OSHA regulations, HAZWOPER preferred
- Strong analytical skills and ability to draw conclusions and determine strategies based upon data
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Ability to maintain absolute integrity and discretion due to the confidential and sensitive nature of the information
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office required; ability to formulate reports, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Willing to work different shifts and occasional weekends
- Willing to be on-call for emergencies
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may need the ability to lift and carry loads up to 50 pounds, stand and/or walk for 10+ hrs. daily and climb stairs
Sugar Land, TX
|Job Category||Development Services - Planning, Auditing, Business Administration, Communication, Customer Service, Data Management, Document Control, Engineering, Environmental, Health Care, Hospitality, Industrial, Manufacturing, Occupational Safety, Project Management, Quality Control, Social Work|