THOMPSONS, TX, US, 77481
NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Manages and directs all engineering activities at the generating station. Provides technical guidance and direction to the operating and maintenance departments.
- Provides guidance to the operating and maintenance departments, including technical support, trouble shooting, testing and inspections as needed to maintain safe and reliable operation.
- Monitors plant process performance and provides feedback to the station Leadership including development of unit characteristics.
- Supervises, directs, and manages the engineering department.
- Provides technical direction to the Process Specialists to support plant optimization and process improvements.
- Provides review of all engineering, designs, economic justifications, and part specifications for station projects and modifications.
- Establishes and supervises the implementation of all Capital and O&M projects.
- Communicates goals, budgets, root cause analysis findings, unit and equipment performance results by written and verbal reports.
- Evaluates and establishes strategic plans and budgets to maximize equipment life and optimize station equipment and operations to meet safety, availability targets and performance indicators.
- Supervises reporting functions to local, state, and federal agencies.
- Normal office environment and/or power plant environment
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.)
- Maybe required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals
- Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required
- Requires occasional travel outside service area
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related discipline
- 8 years of power plant experience, including 3 years of supervisory experience
- Valid state driver’s license
- Registered Professional Engineer designation
- Demonstrated effective leadership and personnel management skills including the ability to train and develop engineers and other technical personnel
- Knowledge of budgeting processes and project management skills
- Knowledge of how the operating and maintenance departments function
- Knowledge of power plant mechanical equipment including boilers and combustion process, turbines, heat exchangers, condensers, coal handling equipment, compressors, fans, pumps, and ash handling systems
- Knowledge of power plant electrical equipment including generators, transformers, power distribution equipment, motors, and electrical protection systems
- Knowledge of power plant instrument and control systems including combustion controls and interlock systems
- Knowledge of environmental and safety requirements, regulations, and reporting
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Has a good general understanding of the processes, systems, assets, resources, key personnel, and basic functions of NRG
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in a team environment
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) at all levels of NRG
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional working relationship with all individuals
- Ability to use a personal computer and standard business software
- Ability to read, create, and follow written policies and procedures
- Ability to understand and use work management systems
- General knowledge of the Labor Agreement with IBEW Local 66
- Uses and maintains technical and professional knowledge, shares that knowledge with others, and recognizes/applies new technology in a cost effective manner
- Obtains and applies knowledge of competitive business practices in daily work activities and decision making
- Seeks and understands the customer/client’s needs and focuses on meeting and exceeding their expectations.
- Willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Anticipates and accepts changes in the organization and adapts to meet the new requirements
- Committed to making the workplace safe and environmentally sound
- Willing to accept accountability for own decisions, performance, and behavior, as well as the performance of their employees and organization.
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access , inspect, or collect data on plant equipment in all weather conditions including high heat and humidity
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant’s experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
|Job Category||Engineering, Industrial, Mechanical, Quality Control, Repair/Maintenance, Supervision|