media relations, public relations, or journalism: 5 years (Required)
Full Job Description
Manager, Media Relations
LOCATION: Wilshire Place Administration Building
HOURS: As assigned
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
The media relations manager will serve as spokesperson and media liaison for the Harris County Toll Road Authority (HCTRA) for local and national media. This position will develop and direct media strategies, media communications such as news releases, articles, and other content initiatives for a proactive agency media plan. The media relations manager will manage and maintain relationships with the public and media; identifies and creates opportunities for placing positive messages and stories within the news and publications. Fields, assesses, and responds to media inquiries. Synthesizes complex concepts, gains expertise in agency projects and operations, and prepares and conveys information on appropriate levels for various audiences.
- Develops, directs, and leads effective and creative media strategies, media communications such as news releases, articles, and other content initiatives for a proactive agency media plan, including communications for internal and external distribution.
- Serves as spokesperson and representative for HCTRA and other audiences, manages and maintains media and public relationships, and acts as backup to the assistant director and communications manager when necessary.
- Identifies and creates opportunities for placing key messages and positive stories within the news media and trade publications.
- Fields, assesses, and responds to media inquiries within prescribed deadlines and responds to emergency situations during normal and non-working hours.
- Synthesizes complex subject matter, such as engineering reports and operations, tolling operations, customer services processes, and conveys information on appropriate levels for various audiences, and for internal and external distribution.
- Researches, gathers, and assembles media reports regarding HCTRA and mobility, and writes media summaries for distribution to agency leadership.
- Plans and oversees press events, and arranges interviews between organization executives and the media.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or a closely related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five (5) years in media relations, public relations or as a journalist.
- Experience to include presenting to, and developing relationships with various media organizations and the public. Some exposure to marketing and broadcast journalism a plus.
CLOSING TIME/DAY: Open until filled.
CONTACT PERSON: Interested individuals must submit a completed employment application found at www.hctra.org.
HCTRA offers a comprehensive benefits package including employer paid medical/dental/vision benefits (with the option to increase coverage); long-term disability, life insurance, retirement investment program, employee assistance program and paid holidays as approved by Harris County Commissioners Court.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
- media relations, public relations, or journalism: 5 years (Required)
Work Location: One location
|Job Category||Development Services - Planning, Business Administration, Communication, Journalism, Literary/Writing skills, Management, Media Relations, Occupational Safety, Parks & Recreation, Public Relations, Sales/Marketing, Traffic/Transportation, Underwriting|