- Position Description
- Receives supervision from the Planning Manager and Senior Planner. Provides technical support to planners engaged in community development and disaster recovery activities relating to Environmental Review, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), research and statistical analysis, administrative and business support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in preparing Environmental Review records and submissions/reports to the State of Texas and U.S. HUD.
- Provides assistance to the department’s request for applications process, annual evaluation report and in the research of grants and development of grant applications as they relate to community development and disaster recovery.
- Assists in the maintenance of the department’s Geographic Information System, creating maps and maintaining layers of geographic and statistical information.
- Prints maps as needed.
- Assists with the Environmental Review Process.
- Use of census data using a spreadsheet or other related computer application.
- Attends and support public meetings at the direction of the supervisor.
- Assists in the preparation of a variety of written community development and disaster recovery correspondence, plans, reports, and working papers.
- Responds to general and specific technical information requests generated through the mail, email, and telephone contact.
- Provides assistance to the department’s request for applications for funding process.
- Pursues research at the direction of the supervisor.
- Performs other reasonable related duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree and
- One (1) year of GIS (Geographic Information System) experience.
- Working knowledge of spreadsheet, database management software, geographic information systems, and use of the Internet.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to compose written reports, documents, and correspondence.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and monitor the completion of tasks.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work efficiently.
- Ability to comply with written and oral instructions.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
NOTE: To qualify for this position, required education, experience, knowledge and skills must be clearly stated on your application’s employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration.
- General Information
- The work is primarily sedentary and is performed in an office setting; however, duties upon occasion will require the employee to perform duties in the field such as evaluating project sites, attending meetings, or other public involvement activities.
- No special safety precautions are required.
This position may be funded with U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds, which are subject to compliance with Section 3. Section 3 is a provision of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968 (24 CFR 135.5), and in accordance with those regulations, new job opportunities generated by HUD funding must be directed toward low and very-low income persons to the greatest extent feasible.
With respect to new hiring needs in connection with Section 3 covered assistance, preference and opportunities for employment shall be given to Section 3 persons in Harris County. A person seeking Section 3 preference for employment with Harris County must demonstrate that they meet the qualifications for the employment opportunities. Additionally, a person seeking employment bears the responsibility of providing evidence, when requested, that the person is eligible for the Section 3 designation. Applicants may be filtered in order of preference, per 24CFR 135. Income limits for Harris County can be found at https://csd.harriscountytx.gov/Pages/MedianFamilyIncomeLimits.aspx
- Harris County
- 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 240Houston, Texas, 77002
|Job Category||Development Services - Planning, Admin & Clerical, Document Control, Environmental, Government|