At Houston Methodist, the Academic Coordinator position is responsible for providing a wide variety of highly skilled technical and staff support services in departments which span across clinical, research, and academic settings. This position will function with relative independence and independent judgment. The Academic Coordinator position may schedule appointments, meetings and travel itineraries and coordinate related arrangements. This position may also be responsible for assisting with maintaining financial records and facilitating communication between departments. Related duties for the Academic Coordinator position involve meeting/event preparation including formulating reports and data for presentation for a variety of audiences in support of department initiatives.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE – 25%
- Assists with the coordination of activities for International patients at Houston Methodist under little supervision which may include assistance with hotels, ground transportation, and medical appointments within and outside immediate physician practice. (EF)
- Contacts speakers and presenters, identified by physician, to solicit participation in monthly continuing education sessions throughout the year. Plans and books speakers for professional meetings, assisting with travel arrangements. (EF)
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE – 30%
- Coordinates Grand Rounds for department which may include travel arrangements, processes reimbursements and honorariums, establishing dates, finding conference rooms, handouts, catering, communications to speakers and participants, posters, developing itinerary with Physician and speakers. (EF)
- Designs Power Point presentations with data manipulation. Develops charts to represent advanced technical data. Prepares, with management review and approval, computer-generated slides and/or hand-outs, presentation materials and posters per Houston Methodist standards. (EF)
- Prepares and researches grant applications, manuscripts, and proposals while using appropriate software. Gathers research data from individuals participating in the grant proposals and conducts literature searches relating to the grant submission. Manages timelines for submitting the grant proposals and ensures proposals are submitted on time. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY – 15%
- Performs basic data monitoring/maintenance for the department with minimal supervision. Maintains a file or database system for routine reports and relevant data sources. (EF)
- Ensures quality and timely execution of deliverables. Coordinates multiple deadlines including but not limited to reports and presentations. Utilizes technology resources to conduct research for assigned tasks. Participates in performance improvement activities to support department/entity goals. (EF)
FINANCE – 20%
- Identifies funding sources and obtains funding for sessions. May have budget responsibility for reconciling the budget and developing reports related to the Grand Rounds. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
- Contributes towards meeting department financial targets through optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION – 10%
- Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement projects and activities. Follows up on action items to ensure completion of assignments. (EF)
- Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Completes and updates the My Development plan on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Three years experience in an academic setting
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Competent knowledge of all Microsoft Applications, including; word processing, spreadsheet, and graphics software
o Ability to function independently and work well as cross-functional and interprofessional teams
o Well-developed organizational skills
o Attention to detail with a high priority for timely and accurate information
o Knowledgeable about the format for grant submission required by each funding source, i.e. NIH, private foundations
o Competent knowledge on proper Manuscript formatting, e.g. footnotes, referencing, page numbering, margins, line spacing, headings and proper insertion of technical charts and graphs
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Houston Methodist Academic Institute was formed to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The Research Institute was created in 2004 to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000-square-foot building dedicated to research and clinical trials, the Academic Institute houses over 2,110 credentialed researchers conducting 1,387 ongoing clinical protocols.
|Job Category||Accounting & Bookkeeping, Development Services - Planning, Admin & Clerical, Bilingual, Business Administration, Communication, Data Management, Health Care, Insurance, Multilingual, Office Assistance, Optometry, Project Management, Public Relations|