- JOB REF: 40508
- TALENT AREA: Finance and Accounting
- JOB SHIFT: 1st – Day
- JOB TYPE: Full-Time
- POSTED DATE: March 30, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Accountant position is responsible forvarious monthly closing duties which include journal entry preparation, cash transaction analysis, account analysis, financial statement preparation, executive management report preparation and distribution and preparation of statutory required reports for assigned Houston Methodist entity. Interfaces across the organization with various system departments as well as external business partners auditors to complete audit engagements and assist with tax preparation. Also interfaces with government agencies as appropriate.
Seeking a CPA licensed candidate or has passed at least one part of the exam. Experience with Macros within Excel highly preferred.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE – 20%
- Interfaces across the organization with various system departments as well as external business partners auditors to complete audit engagements. Responds to information requests from across the organization. (EF)
- Effectively and proactively communicates with all stakeholders to resolve issues and discrepancies in a timely manner. (EF)
- Actively participates in meetings and huddles using positive communication and makes positive contributions that contribute to department success. (EF)
SERVICE – 20%
- Prepares journal entries with appropriate supporting documentation. (EF)
- Maintains assigned general ledger accounts through monthly reconciliation. (EF)
- Performs one or more of the following activities as assigned: (EF)
- Manages and reconciles bank accounts daily and reconciles postings to subsidiary systems.
- Prepares audit schedules in support of external audits.
- Acts as backup for cash management module daily bank reporting.
- Acts as backup for non-patient AR billing module as needed.
QUALITY/SAFETY – 20%
- Assists leadership with monthly financial statement analysis. (EF)
- Follows FASB accounting standards in addition to government regulations (i.e. IRS, CMS, FEMA, state comptroller) in support of accuracy and timeliness. (EF)
FINANCE – 20%
- Supports management in the preparation of tax returns and audit schedules and month- end and year- end closing processes ensuring completeness and accuracy. (EF)
- Prepares and distributes financial reports and accounting data to appropriate stakeholders. (EF)
- Performs one or more of the following: (EF)
- Processes investment manager and commercial bank fee invoices
- Utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship. Manages own time effectively and prioritizes work to achieve maximum results in a timely manner.
GROWTH/INNOVATION – 20%
- Proactively problem solves when challenges present themselves. (EF)
- Proactively manages own professional development. Completes My Development Plan. (MDP) (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or related field
o One year experience in accounting preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Professional Accounting Certification preferred (Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Working knowledge of general software applications
o Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
o Strong accuracy and attention to detail
o Strong organizational skills and ability to manage deadlines
o Strong analytical and problem solving skills
o Excellent oral and written communication skills
o Strong teamwork skills
o Familiarity with Enterprise Resource Productivity (ERP) systems
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. Houston Methodist consists of eight hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, and seven community hospitals throughout the greater Houston area. Houston Methodist also includes an academic institute, a comprehensive residency program, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free-standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, Houston Methodist employs more than 27,000 employees and is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide high quality patient care.
|Accounting & Bookkeeping, Development Services - Planning, Admin & Clerical, Bilingual, Business Administration, Communication, Data Management, Health Care, Insurance, Multilingual, Office Assistance, Optometry, Project Management, Public Relations