John BangWu JiangChemical Engineering
Innovative Chemical Engineer with in-depth experience in industrial process engineering, petrochemical, chloralkaline, vinyl chloride monomer (VCM), bulk pharmaceutical chemicals. Results achieved by applying fundamental theory and implementing modeling tools in real-world chemical industry. Recognized for reducing energy consumption, improving production, quality and reliability, boosting profitability, and reducing cost. Highly adaptable with goal-oriented and collaborative work style. Demonstrated success in managing complex project.
Praxair, Inc., Houston, TX
Dec, 2013~May, 2020
Senior Process Engineer
- Monitor process unit operations daily and implement step changes; Model the whole plants; identify the opportunities for the productivity capital projects. Develop PFDs, P&IDs, mass and energy balance. Generate the Scope, prepare the cost, estimate and schedule, specify new process equipment. Interface with R&D for process development and improvements.
- Monitor catalyst performance; Improve the critical performance index for the operation unit and equipment of Hydrogen production: such as amine unit, gasification, cold box, gas compression, Partial Oxidation, fired heater. Work with operations teams to provide technical expertise and support for resolving operation issues, troubleshooting.
- Lead the plant wide Pressure Relief Valve (PSV) and flare studies, saved over 1 million in capital expenditure. Reviewed and approved management of change (MOC) as subject matter expert (SME) in PSV and flare system, process engineering.
- Participate in incident investigations, JSA (job safety analysis), Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) and Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) reviews for existing plant and greenfield expansion project, supported continual improvement and resolved the gaps and closed action items.
- Provide process information required to prepare pressure test packages and maintenance; Provide Process Information to different Disciplines: Equipment Specs, Instrument Specs, Piping Line List, Pipe Stress Analysis
PPG Industries, Lake Charles, LA (Axiall)
May, 2008~ Nov, 2013
Senior Production Engineer
(Chloralkali, Dichloroethane and Vinyl Chloride)
- Identified and implemented process improvement through process simulation using Aspen plus and custom modeler; led debottlenecking and process optimization project, increased the capacity of tail gas treatment units, improved the compliance in environment, saved the chemical for waste water treatment.
- Led the team to investigate the long-haunting product quality issues through facility-wide study. Identified the root causes for the quality issues. Solved the quality issues. Participated in incident investigations and Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) reviews.
- Participated the facility-wide (more than fifteen units) energy surveys. Led a project involving five units, and increases production by 3%, energy saving only was equivalent to $350K annually.
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
Jun, 2005~May, 2008
Research Associate in Chemical Engineering Department
- Performed dynamic modeling to study structure-properties relationship of lubricants; measure rheological properties of compounds obtained through chemical synthesis; investigated reaction mechanism through quantum mechanical calculation
Charioteer Pharmaceutical Factory, Zhejiang, China
Production Supervisor, Production Manager
- Designed a new unit to produce pharmaceutical intermediates, implemented scale-up and commercialization of new chemical processes in pilot plant. Led the project through bench to full scale stage, and daily production
- reviewed and revised quality control and quality assurance (QC/QA) system regulated and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Identified and investigated the potential process improvement opportunities, increased the production yield by 15%.
2001 – 2005 University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D) Chemical Engineering
1990 – 1995 East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China
Bachelor of Science (B. S.) Chemical Engineering
American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), Senior Member
Professional Engineer (PE) in Texas